I love tea! I love scones! There’s something so lovely about dainty little sandwiches and treats at a beautiful table set for 3 with a view of the garden from our table, and tea in the garden room afterwards.
High Tea Menu
- Fresh Home Made Iced Tea
- A selection of herbal and black teas (from the Tea Centre)
- Egg Salad Sandwiches (Recipe below)
- Cucumber and Cream Cheese Sandwiches
- Prosciutto and tomato sandwiches with Garlic and Herb Cheese
- Freshly Baked Gluten Free Cinnamon Buns with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Freshly Baked Gluten Free Scones with Blackberry Jam and Devonshire Cream (the scone recipe wasn’t great so I’ll keep trying until I find a better one to share)
- Cupcakes (I tried out Betty Crocker’s Gluten Free Golden Cake Mix and don’t recommend it — it’s very dry)
- Wendel’s Ginger Cookies (Yes, store-bought but sooooo good!)
I chose a pink and rose coloured theme for the table. Then picked flowers from my garden, and added tea pots from my elephant collection, china tea sets that were Mama Bear’s, an old and treasured tablecloth from my Grandmother’s, a few thrifted flower vases, and rose napkins (a gift in a Christmas stocking from my Mom).
The table looked so pretty!
Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
The recipe below made 3 sandwiches that I cut into corners and fingers. I made a variety of sandwiches and it turned out to be way too much food; but, I guess it’s better to have too much than not enough, right?!
Mash the eggs and blend all ingredients together by hand.
- 4 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise (or add more if you like it creamier)
- 1 Tbsp Sour Cream (only a little dollop to make it a little more creamy)
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (One lemon adds just enough tanginess)
- Fresh Gluten Free Bread with crusts cut off, consistent with the theme of a high tea. (I used Whole Grain Wide Slice Gluten Free Bread from The Little Northern Bakehouse. You can find it at Costco.)
Spread the blended ingredients onto lightly buttered bread. Cover and refrigerate until just before your guests arrive to keep it fresh.
Oh my! A Hostess Gift
One of my guests arrived with a thoughtful hostess gift. It looks almost too good to eat or drink! And without knowing it, her gift matched the pink and rose theme of the day! Don’t you just love the wine label and pretty packaging?
Although hosting an event like this was a lot of work, I really enjoyed it and I think my guests did too. Feel free to connect with me on social or share your thoughts and ideas in the comments below.